Instructor Spotlight- DanaDana Yarn
- How did you get into fitness specifically, yoga, Pilates, barre, dance etc.? I was a competitive swimmer and runner in high school and I ran cross country and track in college and that turned into competing in triathlons. I dabbled in teaching mat Pilates and Yoga throughout college at local gyms and the student recreation center, because it made me a better athlete. Upon graduation when I worked in corporate fitness as a trainer and Dietitian they needed help managing the Pilates and Yoga studio and that is when I started my comprehensive Pilates certification, deepened my yoga practice. I never looked back, I fell in love with how good my body felt, I was getting stronger and improving my imbalances and weaknesses.
- What do you do for fun? (outside of exercise, etc.) In the warmer months we like to be near water at the lake, by the pool or a trip to the beach. In the cooler months we cook good food and watch football. It is so important to stay connected with good friends, girls nights are a must!
- Where is your favorite place? Why? Any place near water, I grew up in Florida the beach is my happy place. We get away to visit family and friends in Florida as much as possible.
- What are some of the most embarrassing things that have happened to you while teaching? There are too many to count, one time I got confused about the time an ended class 15 minutes early and no one said anything. There are the typical wardrobe malfunctions, and obnoxious sweat marks too.
- What is your favorite healthy food and/or drink? I love a flakey piece of wild caught salmon, guacamole, roasted vegetables, and Caribbean food.
- What is your favorite treat food and/or drink? I love pizza, chocolate and wine!
- How do you stay motivated? It can be hard at times, especially when I feel like my classes and days are redundant. If I start to feel this way I look for a Pilates or fitness conference to sign up for, I get online and start looking for new choreography or exercises, take another instructor’s class or I will get a new fitness toy to play with at the studio. Switching it up often has saved me from the dreadful burnout. Making your passion your career has pros and cons, I remind myself often that I am truly living out my dream and that simple perspective change works wonders.
- Do you have any life hacks? I have a million… food delivery services if I am in an cooking slump help me get excited about being in the kitchen. I also try to listen to or read personal development podcast, audio books, etc. I do better when I am learning and surrounding myself with positive information. Never leave the house without a huge cup of water, and Perfect bars are just as good as cookies without the processed ingredients.