As a health and fitness enthusiast, Joseph Pilates developed his original method of Contrology which promoted the total coordination of the body, mind, and spirit. Pilates is a system of over 500 controlled exercises that engage the mind and condition the total body. It is a balanced blend of strength and flexibility training that improves posture, reduces stress and creates long, lean muscles without bulking up. Pilates works several muscle groups simultaneously through smooth, continuous motion, with a particular concentration on strengthening and stabilizing the core (the abdomen, back and pelvic girdle region, sometimes referred to as the “powerhouse”).
The focus is on quality of movement rather than quantity, which makes one feel invigorated rather than exhausted after a session. Pilates takes a balanced approach so that no muscle group is overworked and the body works as an efficient, holistic system in sport and daily activity.
Benefits of Pilates includes:
• Improve strength, flexibility and balance
• Tone and build long, lean muscles without bulk
• Challenge deep abdominal muscles to support the core
• Engage the mind and enhance body awareness
• Condition efficient patterns of movement making the body less prone to injury
• Reduce stress, relieve tension, boost energy through deep stretching
• Restore postural alignment
• Create a stronger, more flexible spine
• Promote recovery from strain or injury
• Increase joint range of motion
• Improve circulation
• Heighten neuromuscular coordination
• Offer relief from back pain and joint stress
• Correct over-training of muscle groups which can lead to stress and injury
• Enhance mobility, agility and stamina
• Compliment sports training and develop functional fitness for daily life activity
Improve the way your body looks and feels!